Flight Instructor Rating
||AVI50516 Diploma of Aviation (Flight Instructor) &
CASA Flight Instructor Rating (FIR)
||12 weeks Full Time | Not available Part Time|
||Domestic AU$25,000 | International AU$N/A | Instalments Available
VET Student Loans available to eligible full time domestic students
||Pending demand: January | May|
||Gold Coast Airport, Australia|
||Australian CPL, Certificate IV in Training & Assessment|
||International students welcome to apply with alternative visa.|
Summary information for guidance purposes only. Conditions and eligibility criteria apply. Details below.
Air Gold Coast's Flight Instructor Rating course is conducted in accordance with the requirements in CASA Part 61T.
The course commences with an aeronautical knowledge assessment and right hand seat introduction flight (included in tuition fees) followed by the Principles and Methods of Instruction (PMI) module. The PMI program is based on the FAA Flight Instructor Handbook which also prepares candidates for the CASA Flight Instructor exam.
Following the PMI course, candidates will undertake an intense ten weeks classroom and flying program to develop the skills required to be successful Flight Instructor. Flight training sessions are conducted in a Cessna 152 but instructor trainees may request use of a Cessna 172 at additional cost.
Upon successful completion of the course graduates will be issued with a CASA Flight Instructor Rating with a Grade 3 Training Endorsement and Diploma of Aviation (Flight Instructor). Graduation is conditional upon the candidate having presented a valid Australian Certificate IV in Training & Assessment which is not included in the course. The Certificate IV in Training & Assessment is available at TAFE.
All course outcomes are official Australian Government recognised qualifications registered with and regulated by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) and the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).
• AVI50416 Diploma of Aviation (Instructor Rating)
• CASA Flight Instructor Rating (FIR)
Course Duration: 12 weeks full time (Part Time not available)
Note: Minimum numbers apply. Course dates subject to change.
Phase I: Principles & Methods of Instruction (2 weeks)
Phase II: Flight Training (10 weeks)
• Australian Commercial Pilots’ Licence
• Eligible for a Class 1 Aviation Medical Certificate
• Eligible for an Aviation Security Idenctification Card (ASIC)
• Eligible for an Aviation Reference Number (ARN)
• Spinning Flight Activity Endorsement (This can be completed at Air Gold Coast prior to FIR course commencement.)
• This course requires an entry Interview conducted by the Air Gold Coast Chief Flying Instructor.
• Australian Certificate IV in Training & Assessment is required prior to the issue of the Diploma Certificate. Air Gold Coast does not conduct this qualification so trainees are directed to contact their local TAGE for further assistance.
Estimated Total Tuition Fee*: AU$25,000
*Fees are subject to change. Training as part of AVI50516 Diploma of Aviation (Flight Instruction) is GST exempt. Full details, terms and conditions provided in writing upon successful application.
Self funded domestic students may pay in advance or in 12 equal weekly instalments.
This course is approved for VET Student Loans (VSL). Australian students may apply to use VSL only if they are eligible and undertake the course full time.
For more information, please visit our VSL Page.
Flight Training Inclusions
• Principles and Methods of Instruction Course
• 28.0 Hours Dual Flying
• 7.0 Hours Mutual Flying
• 1.5 Hours Flight Test
• 25 Hours Procedural Trainer
• 2.0 Hours Synthetic Trainer
• 50 Hours Dual Briefings
• 50 Hours Readback Briefings
• Landing and Airways Charges
• Course Materials
• CASA PMI Exam Fee
• ATO Flight Test Fee
• Enrolment Fee
Our training fees do NOT include the following items which students will need to provide at their own expense:
• Pilot Radio Headset
• Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC)
• Cost associated with gaining Certificate IV in Training & Assessment
• Cost associated with gaining Spinning Flight Activity Endorsement
Note: Second and subsequent attempts for exams and flight tests, remedial ground and flight training are an additional student expense . They are charged at the relevant course aircraft/ instructor hourly rate.