What is the VET Student Loans program?
The VET Student Loans program is an Australian Government loan program that helps eligible students enrolled in approved courses at approved providers pay their tuition fees.
If you are an eligible student, the Department of Education and Training (the department) may approve your VET Student Loan for an approved course. The department will pay your loan directly to your approved course provider. You will be responsible for any gap amount in the tuition fees, which are not covered by your loan. You will owe a debt to the Australian Government for the loan, which will be managed by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).
If you are a domestic student considering applying for VET Student Loans to assist in the payment of your tuition fees, it is a legal requirement that you become familiar with the way the VET Student Loan program works before you apply. We therefore require prospective VET Student Loan candidates to read and understand all of the available VET Student Loan program information including the hyperlinks contained on this page and on the Australian Government Department of Education and Training VET Student Loans page: https://www.education.gov.au/vet-student-loans.
How VET Student Loans Works
The Australian Government is committed to increasing productivity, addressing skills shortages ans assisting with the cost of studying. One of the measures that achieves these goals is the availability of the VET Student Loan scheme. VET Student Loans assists eligible full-time students who are wishing to pursue a career in aviation and undertaking Air Gold Coast's Diploma of Aviation to pay for tuition costs.
Air Gold Coast is a quality Flight Training provider registered with the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) as a Registered Training Organisation to deliver Vocational Education and Training (VET) services. We are proud to be an independent VET Student Loan provider approved by the Department of Education, Employment and workplace Relations (DEEWR) to offer VET Student Loans to eligible students enrolled in our nationally accredited courses.
Where VET Student Loans are approved for a unit of study, the Australian Government pays the amount of the loan for that unit direct to Air Gold Coast. VET Student Loans provides loans for tuition fees only so you will need to pay any additional costs such as some materials, resources, accommodation and general expenses. Detailed gap estimates are provided in the Schedules of Courses and Fees below.
Student who have used VET Student Loans to undertake their training then repay the loan through the Australian taxation system once their income is above the minimum repayment threshold for compulsory repayment ($54,869 for the 2016-17 year). VET Student Loans is a loan from the Australian Government that must be repaid in full and is not subsidised. Voluntary Repayments may be made at any time, regardless of income.
Essential Link: Vet Student Loans Student Information Booklet
VET Student Loan Courses at Air Gold Coast
Air Gold Coast offers the following accredited training courses for the issue of a qualification in accordance with the AVI Aviation Training Package. VET Student Loans are available for eligible students for these courses only.
AVI50215 Diploma of Aviation (Commercial Pilot Licence-Aeroplane)
Integrated course (theory and flying) for candidates with no flying experience
AVI50415 Diploma of Aviation (Instrument Rating)
Integrated course (theory and flying) for candidates with CPL
AVI50510 Diploma of Aviation (Flight Instructor)
Integrated course (theory and flying) for candidates with a CPL
For detailed information about our courses please refer to the specific course information pages on our website.
For detailed information about the VET Student Loan fee schedule and course dates, please refer to the Schedules of Courses and Fees below.
2018 Schedules of Courses and Fees
Eligible students must have read the current VET Student Loans Information Booklet, understand their VET Student Loan obligations, complete and submit the required forms to Air Gold Coast before the due date of the unit of study as shown in the Schedule of VET Tuition Fees.
AVI50215 Diploma of Aviation (Commercial Pilot Licence - Aeroplane)
- January 2018 - Applications are now closed.
- April 2018 Applications are now closed
- July 2018 - Applications are now closed
- October 2018 - Apply now - Applications close August 17
AVI50415 Diploma of Aviation (Instrument Rating)
- February 2018 - Applications are now closed.
- April 2018 - Applications are now closed.
- July 2018 - Apply now.
- October 2018 - Apply now.
AVI50516 Diploma of Aviation (Flight Instructor)
- January 2018 - Applications are now closed
- May 2018 - Applications are now closed
How Much Can I Borrow?
The VET Student Loan maximum amount available covers the entire tuition fee of the above courses. Please carefully read the Schedules of Courses and Fees below for your elected course to ensure that you are aware of any additional expenses not covered by the VET Student Loan scheme.
Eligible students are able to borrow the maximum amount available to them under VET Student Loans. The maximum amount available in 2017 is $100,879.00 in total and $75,000.00 for each AVI course. The VET Student Loans limit is indexed on 1 January every year. Fees not classified as a tuition fee by the Australian Government, cannot be deferred. a loan fee of 20% applies to full fee paying students undertaking VET Student Loans. The loan fee will be applied to the amount of VET Student Loan assistance provided and this fee will be included in the students VET Student Loan debt. VET student loan gives rise to a HELP debt that continues to be a debt due to the Commonwealth until it is repaid.
Useful Link: Australian Tax Office (ATO) Loan Information
Prospective students maybe eligible for VET Student Loans assistance for a unit of study if:
- They are an Australian citizen or the holder of a permanent humanitarian visa who will be resident in Australia for the duration of the unit of study for which the candidate is seeking VET Student Loans assistance;
- Are undertaking study as a full fee-paying student or will be undertaking study as an eligible subsidised student in a reform or territory;
- Are enrolled on or before the administration/census date in an eligible VET unit of study and remain enrolled in the unit until the end of the census date;
- Have completed and submitted a valid request for VET Student Loans assistance on or before the administration date for the VET course of study, of which the unit forms a part;
- Meet the Unique Student Identifier (USI) requirements;
- Meet the tax file number requirements - if a student has applied for but not yet issued with a tax file number a certificate from the Commissioner that the student has applied for a tax file number is to be presented.
- Have not exceeded the VET Student Loan maximum limit.
- Meet the Australian Government Department of Education and Training VET Student Loan eligibility requirements.
- Meet Air Gold Coast Entry requirements, Policies and Procedures
VET Student Loans will not be approved for students who do not meet eligibility requirements.
Students under the age of 18 are required to have a responsible parental be a signatory on the application and complete a Parental Consent Form (see link below).
Important Link if Under 18: The VET Student Loan Parental Consent Form
Policies and Procedures
Prospective students are required to read and understand all relevant Air Gold Coast Policies and Procedures. Please click on the links below to review each before you apply.
- Student Handbook
- Schedule of VET Tuition Fees
- VSL Entry and Enrolment Procedure
- VSL Attendance Policy
- VSL Withdraw Policy
- Student Grievance Procedures
- Statement of Tuition Assurance - VSL
- Statement of Tuition Assurance - VFH
- VSL Re-Crediting Procedure
- Personal information Procedures
- Fair Treatment and Equal Opportunity Procedures
Prospective Air Gold Coast students who are eligible to apply for a VET Student Loan to help pay for their training must advise Air Gold Coast of their intention to do so prior to or at the time of applying for a course for which VET Student Loans is available. Students wishing to apply for a VET Student Loan are required to undertake substantial research to gain a comprehensive understanding of the system, criteria and procedures prior to applying.
In accordance with the Air Gold Coast Entry & Enrolment Policy And Procedure eligible students who wish to apply and have a comprehensive understanding of the VET Student Loan system, criteria and procedures, should complete the Air Gold Coast online Domestic Student Application Form including the VET Student Loan declaration section. Air Gold Coast will contact the applicant to confirm that the application has been received and provide information on the next steps in the VET Student Loan and enrolment processes.